‘Tis’ the season for office holiday parties, so here are our top tips on how to have festive fun without the repercussions?
1. First and foremost – Turn Up!
2. Eat, drink and be merry – If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation. Otherwise, you might say or do something you will later regret. Don’t use the office party as an excuse to blow off steam. It’s still a company function.
And remember Don’t Drink and Drive!
3. Dress appropriately for the occasion – Wear work-appropriate clothing? Since it’s a special occasion, it’s fine to take it up one notch, but don’t go over the top, Keep your reputation for good taste intact.
Leave the short, tight or revealing numbers in the closet, don’t undo all your efforts of creating a professional image.
“If you question whether you should wear something, then don’t,”
4. Networking and Introducing yourself – Your company party may be the only time you see the CEO, President or VPs in person. At the very least, don’t spend the entire evening with your regular office workers especially if you work in a large office, it’s important to network at your office get-togethers, however don’t talk shop all night!
5. Be sure to thank those who planned the party? – No doubt they put in a great deal of effort so Don’t forget to thank the person responsible for the planning and coordinating of the party.
6. Be careful about what you post on social media – Avoid posting negative comments on social media about the party.
Avoid posting photos of your co-workers taking shots or engaging in other inappropriate behaviour. You don’t want to create an awkward work environment when you return to the office the next morning.